David Thomas, KM4NYI
205 Linford Rd.
Knoxville, TN 37920
Section Manager (SM)
The Section Manager is accountable for carrying out the duties of the office in accordance with ARRL policies established by the Board of Directors and shall act in the best interests of Amateur Radio.
- The SM recruits, appoints, and supervises section-level staff to administer the Field Organization's principal areas of responsibility in the section. These areas are emergency communications, message traffic relay, technical activity / problem solving, volunteer monitoring, government relations, public relations in the general community, information services for amateurs, and cooperation with affiliated clubs.
- Appoints qualified ARRL members in the section to other volunteer positions in support of Field Organization objectives, and may authorize section-level staff to make such appointments.
- Keeps well informed concerning matters of ARRL policy so as to administer the Field Organization in accordance with current policy and to provide correct information in response to members' inquiries.
- Supervises the activities of the section-level staff, monitors the performance of the Field Organization volunteers, and provides guidance as necessary to ensure that appointees act in the best interests of Amateur Radio and in accordance with ARRL policies.
- Maintains liaison with the Division Director; makes periodic reports to the Director regarding the status of Section activities; receives information and guidance pertaining to matters of mutual concern and interest from the Director; serves on the Division Cabinet and renders advice as requested by the Director.
- Conducts correspondence and other communications with ARRL members and affiliated clubs in the Section; makes personal visits to clubs, hamfests, and conventions; responds to members' questions and concerns or refers them to an appropriate person or office in the League organization; maintains liaison with representative frequency coordinator(s) having jurisdiction in the Section.
- Writes, or supervises preparation of, a monthly "Section News;" uses electronic communications, such as the Internet, to distribute information about Section activities and to encourage member participation in the Field Organization.
- Promotes recruitment of new amateurs and new ARRL members
- Encourages attitudes and actions which welcome new radio amateurs and integrate them into League and club activities.
- Each new Section Manager shall be required to participate in a Section Manager orientation training session that is conducted by ARRL Headquarters.